Email: Information@BurlcoHistorian.com
 
  Mission Statement
  Laufer’s Speaking Schedule
  Laufer Lectures
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL HISTORY
  Introducing Joe Laufer
  Headlines & Happenings
  Preservation Awards
 

New Views Art & Tours

Newpage.htm



Home | Links | Contact Us | Site Map | Guest Book | New Page

 

Beverly City Monuments

Dunks Ferry Crossing Monument

Location: At the end of Manor Road on the Delaware River bank across from the gazebo.

Significance - The monument was dedicated on September 20, 1975 by the City of Beverly Bicentennial Committee. It reads: Near this site one of our country's first ferries was operated from circa 1695 to late 19th C. During Revolutionary Times it was used by Washington and his troops. This area was called "Dunks Ferry" before Beverly was founded.

Directions: Head to Beverly from Route 130 via Rt. 626 which is Beverly-Rancocas Rd. through Willingboro, Mt. Holly Road through Edgewater Park and Manor Road in Beverly. Take it to the end at the Delaware River, where the monument is located.

Civil War Soldier at Rest

L: Current location in Beverly; --- R: Post Card showing original placement at Beverly National Cemetery

Location: At 700 Melbourne Ave. - Corner of Melbourne and Cherry - on the grounds of the American Legion Post 115 Building.

Significance - The statue of the Civil War Union Soldier at rest was once located in Beverly National Cemetery, a few miles away in Edgewater Park on Mt. Holly Road. Shown above is an old post card showing the sculpture atop a pilar that stood in the center of the cemetery. Prior to 1957, the statue, atop the pilar, stood in the center of the first circle inside the gates of the Cemetery, which places it very near the Civil War burials, located immediately on the left as you enter the gates.

More in-depth information courtesy of Delaware Valley Historian Paul W. Schopp:

In 1872, the New Jersey Legislature passed an act appropriating $10,000 to erect a state monument at the National Cemetery in Beverly. The act resulted in creation of the “Soldier at Rest” monument to memorialize the soldiers and sailors from New Jersey who fought and died in the War of the Rebellion. The Philadelphia firm of Van Gunden and Young won the contract to execute the memorial. The 70-bart high column comprised eleven pieces of marble, a total of over 1,000 cubic feet of stone, quarried and carved in Caravia, Italy. One of Italy’s most renowned sculptors produced the soldier statue. The assembled monument, including shaft, pediments, capitals and statue, weighed in at about 80 tons and was once located in a grassy circle closest to the superintendent’s residence and maintenance garages. A great crowd, including the Governor of New Jersey, civilians, and many military organizations, arrived at the cemetery on 28 June 1875 to dedicate the memorial. Over the ensuing years following its erection, the column supporting the statue developed serious cracks, causing the monument’s disassembling following World War II. Charles Moses received the contract to rehabilitate the memorial. He disassembled it, but died before completing the restoration. His widow presented the “Soldier at Rest” statue to Beverly’s American Legion Post 115 and this organization has resisted all attempts to move the statue back to the National Cemetery.

Directions: Using the intersection of Route 130 and Beverly-Rancocas Road as your starting point (landmarks are Arby's Restaurant, Exxon and Getty Filling Stations), proceed west on Rt. 626 - Mt. Holly Road - passing the entrance to Beverly National Cemetery, and immediately after crossing the Light Rail train tracks into Beverly (the street becomes Manor Road in Beverly), turn right onto Railroad Avenue. On the right is a green water tower; on the left, the Beverly-Edgewater Park Emergency Squad Building. Turn left here onto Melbourne Ave to #700 on your left - American Legion Post 115 - at the corner of Cherry St. and across from Lavinger Field Playground. The statue is on the corner.

If you enter Beverly along Warren St., Melbourne Ave. is just across the street from St. Joseph's Catholic School - between Manor and Broad.

 

 

 

 

© 2005 Burlington County Historian. All rights reserved.